Outdoor play is an important part of children’s cognitive, physical and social development. Playtime can be more enjoyable with the right equipment, which encourages children to be socially and physically active.
Injuries are quite common in children who are active on playgrounds and feel a rush of excitement. According to the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, over 200,000 children aged 14 and under are treated annually by emergency departments in hospitals across the World for playground-related injuries. It is crucial to choose the right playground equipment in Australia.
STEPS TO REMEMBER BEFORE YOU CHOOSE PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT
Before you start looking for playground equipment, it is important to do some research.
STEP 1: IDENTIFY YOUR NEEDS
You might consider the following:
- Dimensions of the playground and available space for equipment
- Layout of the playground overall
- Expected number of children to be simultaneously at the playground
- Expected age of children who will use the equipment and visit the playground
- Special needs for persons with disabilities
STEP 2 – ACCESS EXISTING ELECTMENT
You might consider the following:
- Condition of equipment currently in use
- Determining which need to be replaced
- Determine what’s missing from the equipment
STEP 3: DETERMINE YOUR BUDGET
You might consider these options.
- Overall existing budget
- Donations, fundraisers, and grants are just a few of the other sources of funding.
- Site preparation, new surfacing costs and other expenses to be paid
- The playground can be completed in phases
FACTORS TO REMEMBER WHILE CHOOSING THE RIGHT PLAYGROUND ENGINEERING
This is the time to start researching and selecting the best playground equipment for your needs. The most important decision when choosing playground equipment equipment is the material. There are three main materials: Wood, Metal, and Plastic.
- Please be aesthetic
- Low maintenance
- It is easy to clean
- Cost effective
OTHER FACTORS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER
- Aesthetics – Make sure the equipment is inviting and engaging. Children love brightly colored equipment that is challenging or fun.
- Complexity – Choose equipment that will aid children in developing different physical abilities. Equipment should be appropriate for their age and not too complicated for them.
- Maintenance – Find out how simple it is to maintain your equipment in good order.
- Weather – Choose your equipment based on how severe the winters and summers are, and how much rainfall you receive.
- Safety Ensure that playground equipment meets or exceeds safety standards established by the American Society of Testing Materials and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
FACTORS TO REMEMBER WHILE CHOOSING A PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT OFFERSER
It is important to choose the right provider of playground equipment. These are some of the things to keep in mind:
- Experience – Make sure you only buy playground equipment from companies that have been around for at least two decades. Experienced providers will be familiar with the process of installing playground equipment, from initial consultation to final installation. They may also have valuable tips to help you meet your specific needs.
- Installation – Find out if your playground equipment provider offers free installation.
- Payment Options – Find out if the provider has financing partners that can assist with equipment “pay later”.
- Customization Options – While buying pre-designed equipment may seem easier, you might need to customize the equipment for specific children or the layout of the playground. You should choose a provider of playground equipment that allows customization and offers a variety of structures to choose from.
Playground equipment is an essential part of schools, communities, and daycare centers. Make sure you choose the right playground equipment for you and your children to give them a wonderful outdoor experience.